Monday, January 6, 2014

An Epiphany Trek to Beauty, Plus Some

This month, I have had the great pleasure of worshiping outside of Christ Church Cathedral –my spiritual and professional home for the past seven years.  On December 1st, I left the walls of my own comfortable faith tradition to experience worship as a stranger, nomad, seeker and pilgrim. To date, I have worshiped in mega-churches and small country churches, with the non-denominationals and the super-structurals. I began this journey wondering what it was like to experience warm hospitality verses cold prickling stares entering a new church for the first time. The inner sociologist in me wondered how churches were creating space to welcome the stranger in their midst and what effect this was having on the body of Christ.

What I am discovering, is not only that churches everywhere are warm and welcoming, but the diversity of Christian tradition has far more to teach us about the nature of God than simply God is welcoming.  I never have been able to describe God, but I have always described our creator as more than we can imagine. As an Anglican, I love the words that often close Morning Prayer – “Glory to God whose power, working in us, can do infinitely more than we can ask or imagine” (Ephesians 3:20).  Because I know God is the one whom is more than we can comprehend or imagine, I have often believed heaven to be the best of all that I can imagine, plus some. Heaven like a patched work quilt of the most beautiful fabrics ever produced, plus some. A sprinkle of evangelical spirit here, mixed with a dose of high church liturgy there, a heartfelt Spanish love song mixed with an engaged and philosophically thought provoking sermon, plus some. Because God is always bigger than we can vision or imagine, I imagine our most authentic worship is more creative, more diverse, and includes more cultures than we can ever envision, plus some.

To date, two of my most powerful worship experiences have been this cacophony of praise. Both experiences laid within my own tradition of the Episcopal Church, however, both included powerful rituals outside WASP custom. In one, I led a compline service with a non-denominational , evangelical. He desired to steer away from the Book of Common Prayer to offer a more spirit- led prayer. His acoustic guitar skills joined with my desire to follow liturgy and tradition and created a service of altar-building around the hymn “Come Though Fount of Every Blessing.” It was beautiful.  The second, a Rite II Eucharist from the El Libro de Oracion Comun, included Hispanic teens leading one praise song and white southern teens leading the next.

If God can grant me such powerful worship experiences within the context of my own tradition, what awe-inspiring lessons of God’s goodness might there be to learn from praising outside my own church?

In my nine-years of professional full-time ministry I have talked, dialogued, and shared meals with Christians from other traditions. I have jointly served on councils, drafted policies, marched in protests, and shared service projects. Yet, I have rarely worshiped in God’s cacophony of diversity. Worship is what Christians do – it is our most precious offering, yet we rarely worship together. In my experience, we rarely worship together because it is difficult to figure out.  If we had communion would it be symbolic or real? Would a woman or homosexual be able to preach? Who would we pray to and how would we do it? Our fears of how to do things in order to not offend one another keep us from being open to the beauty that God has given us.

In the next month, I have a wonderful opportunity to explore the diverse goodness that God has to offer through traditions of all shapes and sizes.  You are invited to join me as I pilgrim through the diverse lands of God’s orthodox and unorthodox, denominational and non, spirit-led and spirit-fed people. Yesterday, was the Celebration of Epiphany. On this day, we celebrate the Magis' journey to the Christ Child. Like them, I expect to find great beauty on my journey, plus some. 

No comments:

Post a Comment