Thursday, January 16, 2014

WWJZ – Why Would Jesus Zumba?

I love to dance. I believe it is scriptural – when the Israelites crossed the Red Sea and escaped from Pharaoh, Miriam led them in dance. When the psalmist speaks of praising God, they speak of singing and dancing. Jeremiah prophesizes about times of hope and newness complete with dance. At the core of our beings, dancing is related to a deep and inner joy. I imagine it connects us to the elements of God’s unfathomable creativity within us. Like corporate singing and communal prayer it unites us, beyond ourselves, to persons in our midst.

I hate to admit, that as a Christian minister, I do not always participate in corporate worship away from home.  For me, travel is often a time of deep prayer and discovery.  I journal, read scripture, contemplate God’s abundance and unendingness by spending time with ocean, sky, dessert and forest.  I stumble into churches to pray and to admire the beauty of architecture. Occasionally, I stay for a choir or organ practice that I happen upon.  Sometimes, I return for a service.

On the contrary, I rarely miss Zumba. One of the first things I do on vacation is open my Zumba app to see if there are classes in my area. My desire to Zumba everywhere is not because I am a fitness nut. At a size 16 and someone who really enjoys food. I believe in taking care of my body, but not that much. I would also never say Zumba means as much to me as sharing in worship of God with community. But it is a close second. What is it about Zumba that makes me never want to miss?  

#1. Diverse Community – With God’s great vision, I believe God is able to see and accept the differences in each of us. Like the church, Zumba is an intentionally diverse age community. In any given class, children to 90 year-olds dance together. In addition, Zumba is an extremely diverse cultural community. The music spans across the globe: hip-hop, Bollywood, Latin, Middle Eastern, 80’s rock. Often, I attend classes where people do not speak the same language. Dance, like song, like art, like ritual, cuts across cultural barriers joining us into one.

#2. Acceptance – I really don’t dance well.  I’ve seen pictures. I look like a complete fool.  Most of the time, I am off beat and out of place.  But, no matter where I go, the Zumba community seems to accept me as “one of them.” Perhaps, because the only requirement to Zumba is that you have a desire to dance. Not that you are good at dancing, not that you follow along by sitting, standing and bending at the right time – but that you have a DESIRE to want to be there. No one judges you because you have desire.

#3. Encouragement – Zumba is a tremendously positive environment. Instructors sign off on their emails with “besos” (the Spanish word for kisses). They spend time at the beginning and end of each class in humility thanking their students for coming. They remind each class how beautiful they are (I’ve seen the room from their vantage point; the DANCING is NOT what makes the class beautiful).

#5. Admittance of flaws – I like my Zumba instructors imperfect. Sure there are those out there that look like “models” but there are more out there who look like me - with pinches of fat and imperfect hair. Zumba instructors mess up. A lot. Then the laugh it off and keep on going. They admit fault and they humbly rely on the rest of the class to catch them and correct them.  

#6. Live participation – Rarely, do people attend Zumba out of obligation or out of guilt. They are there because they want to be there. The air is thick with intensity and intention. The energy is full and active participation.

#7. Authenticity – Not all the music is “moral.” Not all the dance moves are for the southern gentile, but they are real. They scream humanity. In a range of emotions – from celebratory hops to anger punches, they are real. From the sensual salsa to guttural hip hop – dancing forces you in to accepting and deal with the wide range of emotions that exist within your human soul.  

I would never say Zumba could take the place of church. There is no sacrifice outside one’s self, no talk of unconditional love, no focus on ultimate forgiveness. It isn’t church, nor is it a substitute for it.  It is however beautiful, spiritual, and possibly a parable. The Kingdom of Heaven is diverse, accepting, and authentic community where people can be themselves, just as they are? The kingdom of heaven is like… Zumba? The kingdom of heaven is like….Church? 

No comments:

Post a Comment